Tuesday, April 03, 2007

For Robin........

Robin, as requested, here's the recipe for the sponge and butter cream icing from my previous post..................


Victoria Sandwich Cake

175g butter or marg. softened
175g caster sugar
3 medium eggs beaten
175g self-raising flour, sifted
Grease and base line two 18cm sandwich tins.
Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Fold in half the flour, using a large metal spoon or a plastic spatula, then fold in the remainder.
Divide the mixture between the two tins and level off the surface with a palette knife.
Bake in the centre of the oven at 190 degrees C (375 degrees F) or gas mark 5 for about 20 minutes. The cakes should be well risen, golden on top and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
Loosen the edges with a knife and leave in the tins for about 5 minutes.
Turn them out of the tin, remove the lining paper and place on a wire rack to cool.


Putting it all together.

For the buttercream icing put 75g of soft unsalted butter in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Gradually add 175g of seived icing sugar, a few drops of vanilla essence, a splash of milk and the tiniest little drop of red food colouring. Beat well until nice and smooth.

I used some home made strawberry jam to sandwich the two sponges together or alternatively you could use rasp jam too. Then spread the butter cream icing over the top of the cake. I used mini eggs dotted around the cake but frosted violas would also look very pretty.

5 comments:

Everything Stops for Tea said...

mmmmm, looks gorgeous - there is something so decadent about pink cakes!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa,
Thank-you so much. This sounds like something I will be able to make in the kitchen. Your recipe is quite exact so I can repeat it. I know how much time that takes to write a recipe so it can be understood by another person. Thank-you again. I am going to buy the ingredients and make it this weekend. I'll let you know how it come out!
love
Robin

Primrose Hill said...

Sarah, pink cakes are fab aren't they! I'm going to make some little cupcakes this weekend - more pink icing required me thinks!

Robin, no problem at all, it's a pleasure to share recipes, I really should post more. Hope your cake turns out well, do let me know.

L xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I have everything. All set to go. I will be making the cake tomorrow. So excited and I will let you know how it turns out by posting the fianl results here.
love
Robin

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
Baked the cake this morning and ate some for breakfast. Since I did not have red food coloring I used a touch of cherry syrup and the cake turned blush. I could not get it to the prett pink color you have. But it still is delicous. I am sure it will be gone by tomorrow!
Happy Easter
xo
Robin