Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fun in the snow


Friday's fun in the snow was make or break day. I had to decide whether to stick with snowboarding, give it up and try skiing again (I've not been on skis since I was a teenager) or just give up the whole snowsports thing, because constantly snowballing down a hill just isn't my idea of fun....
So, what was it to be then? You can probably tell from the smile.........
I'm sticking with the snowboarding, I was pretty much linking my turns ( where you turn the board from edge to edge in order to snake down the hill) by the end of the most amazing day I've ever had on the slopes. You see, for those of you that aren't into this mad sport where you throw yourself down a hill strapped to a very slidy board, it's not easy. I have struggled with it for years, and only getting a smattering of days a year at it probably doesn't help. It looks really simple when you see others doing it, but building up the confidence to point the board straight down the hill in order to turn from side to side is not for the faint hearted. Physically having to lean your body down the hill, rather than naturally lean back into the hill is a tricky thing to get your head round, but I'm getting there....
On Friday, I had my determined head on, took loads of snowball like tumbles, but came up smiling every time, more and more determined to crack it. There were no tears ( a first for me ) but lots of bruises, and I have to say the impact shorts and wrist guards are worth their weight in gold. If there's anyone reading this and thinking about taking up the mad mountain sport I would thoroughly recommend you buy yourself some.
We had a perfect day of blue sky weather, amazing snow conditions, and we spotted loads of wildlife, Snow Buntings, Black Grouse, stags and white mountain hares. It made me realise why I truely love living up here, to have all of this on our doorstep really is quite breathtaking, lets just hope it lasts......
On the sewing front, I'm busy getting orders finished that weren't essential for Christmas, making up samples for the new Spring collection and off to visit a new stockist tomorrow. So it's a busy week, but we'll maybe try and squeeze in a bit more snowboarding if the weather's good.....


L xx

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great blog on snowboarding. My third
son went back to college in the NC mountains with a new snowboard. He's a beginner and it's his PE class this semester! That blog hit a chord!

Thanks,
Bonnie
Charlotte

The fabric of my life said...

Ooooh you are so so lucky. We never get snow here in Devon and we watched a news item about Glen Shee and the great season the are having this year with much envy. Send a bit down this way can you?
;-)

Nonnie said...

Wow, that snow looks beautiful. Not so sure about the snow boarding though. I think I'd be more content to be sitting in the sunshine wrapped up warm with a huge mug of hot chocolate, watching the beautiful scenery and you crazy snow boarders! I never was the adventurous type! Do you get a lot of snow like that where you are? Living in London it's so long since I saw proper snow. Used to get it regularly growing up in Yorkshire. I do miss the beauty of snow.

Garden Girl said...

wow-real snow and everyfink! I haven't seen proper snow like that since we lived in Perth twenty years ago..enjoy your snowboarding, it looks like great fun!

UP said...

I loved the photos. It sounds like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having a blast! You are definitely braver than I am ~ there's no way that I would throw myself down a slope!

How wonderful to see all that wildlife too ~ enjoy these winter days whilst they last.

Marie x

Ragged Roses said...

Lisa the photos are breathtaking. Not sure I'm brave enough for snowboarding but the scenery is beautiful!
Kimx
If you get bored of that snow, can we have some please!

dottycookie said...

Oh good for you! I see you discovered the wristguards too ;-) It does take courage to let the board take you, but what a feeling when you do!

It looks absolutely gorgeous. Maybe next year we can get up a mountain again when the children are a bit bigger ...

Gigibird said...

I am green with envy!
Hope you are all having lots of fun with all that snow.

Primrose Hill said...

The sonw was fab, unfortuantely have'nt been back isnce :(
Gregg went up today for a cheeky half day but it was very icy and he now has a very bruised bottom!

L x

Becca said...

Good for you! What a magnificent day! My son is in Utah this week snowboarding way up in the mountains and he loves it.

weirdbunny said...

Wow look at that scenery, all that snow ! And snowboarding, how fantastic, sounds so exciting !