Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A gardening day

Inspired was how I felt yesterday, truly inspired. I came home and made a list of seeds and plants to buy for next year. Where did this inspiration come from I here you ask? Well, earlier this year I joined a gardening group and yesterday was a day out nosying at other folks gardens, bliss!

We visited two gardens, both close to home, so coffee and cake was provided here at Mill of Fyall in between visits. The fact that it was a gorgeous day helped too mind.


The first garden was large and terraced, the views across the valley were quite amazing. The borders were filled with stunning roses, an abundance of clematis, aswell as many other beauties. Every time you turned there was a different scent lingering in the air.


The second garden took my breath away, the owner, a garden designer, has a little piece of paradise on her door step, I could have stayed in that garden forever. Quite formal, but flowing effortlessly, your eye was constantly pulled on to the next episode of the story and your nose was tickled with the scents of sweet peas, lilies and more delectable roses.



So, a rather large list was made last night, Sarah Raven here I come!

L x

P.S. If you fancy a cosy country break, the second garden that we visited has holiday lets, have little peak here.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank god you're back!! Thought there was something up when you hadn't posted for a while.
What lovely pictures, and fab gardens. Wish I had the time to have my garden looking so great.
Where do you find all the time to do all these wonderful things while running your own business? The gardening group sounds a fantastic way to pick up ideas for your garden, plus tea and cake also sounds a lovely afternoon treat.

Poppy

Anonymous said...

Well your photographs have inspired me, I want to grow those poppies.

tea time and roses said...

What beautiful photos every one of them... The lavender flowers are so pretty and the poppies I just love! Enjoy your gardening group, I hope one day to have my very own huge rose garden...

Smiles...

Beverly

Primrose Hill said...

When I'm not on a deadline I have Thursday mornings for gardening group, although it's very informal, it's only just started again since the summer hols and will no doubt be weather dependant in the coming months.

It is a great way to learn, our teacher (we go to his house and garden in his garden!) was a lecturer at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh so he is an encyclopedia of plants! His knowledge never ceases to amaze me! Some people have guffawed at the idea of the group, thinking that we're just doing someones garden for free, but considering we're getting all this knowledge and a pile of free plants every week I'd say it's a good trade off. Great when you're trying to establish a fairly empty garden anyway.

Hi Carolyn - must pop over to yours for a catch up! The poppy is "Poppy Ladybird" quite apt really and a little stunner.

Hi Beverly, I'm thinking I'd like lots of roses in my garden too......!

L x

Primrose Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Primrose Hill said...

Stupid blogger posted my reply twice - hate it when it does that It alway looks so sinister when you delete a comment!

Ragged Roses said...

Oh I like the sound of a gardening club! What a great idea. Those flowers are beautiful, very inspiring
Kim x

weirdbunny said...

How wonderful to look around other peoples gardens.

I bought the majoriy of my spring bulbs today ... so exciting ! ~ love Julia x

Gigibird said...

it's great when inspiration hits you squarely between the eyes, my only hope is day to day domestic chores don't prevent you from getting on with what you want to do:)

Everything Stops for Tea said...

Beautiful pictures not only of the holiday but of the flowers too!!! Oh to have room for them all!

Victoria May Plum said...

I always feel so inspired when I visit other peoples gardens, and your wonderful photos make me feel as though I were there too.

Where would we be without the gorgeous Sarah Raven? her catalogues are inspirational in themselves!

Victoria x

Anonymous said...

The gardens are lovely. I'm going to look out for those poppies as they're one of my favourite flowers. It sounds like you have a great time with like-minded enthusiasts...not just plants, but cake as well!
Margaret and Noreen at THY

Rowan said...

What lovely photographs, wish I could have come on the garden visits with you. I always feel inspired when I visit other gardens and autumn and winter gives you lots of time to plan all of next years horticultural triumphs:)

Janie said...

I love visiting other peoples gardens. Such wonderful colour you have found at this one. It has mademe forget (momentarily) about the jungle which was once my garden...maybe I'll have time to tend it when Oliver is old enough to be my little helper.

Hope the business is going well.
Take care, Janie

Anonymous said...

Why is it that other peoples gardens have fewer weeds?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Have fun with the garden club! Happy Day :o)