Saturday, October 14, 2006

The sounds of autumn

















Even though it was Friday the 13th yesterday we had a super day. I managed to get some sewing
done outside in the sun, always a treat when it comes to this time of year. It's amazing how it's still so mild for this time of year - when the sun was out yesterday it was gorgeous. As I said in my posting the other day, we lost the mink trap when the burn was high with all the rain we had on Wednesday. So yesterday we had to walk down the burnside to try and find it. Luckily we have a path that leads almost from our house all the way along to Alyth along the den, it's a lovely walk through the woods and alongside the Alyth burn, as shown in the photo. About half a mile
down from the cottage we
found the trap in the burn ( thankfully as it's borrowed from a neighbouring farmer!), so we were then able to enjoy the rest of our walk through the woods. Catriona was also with us, so with her help, the three of us gathered some acorns and beech nuts for me to dry and put in my woodland pot pourri - a big seller at christmas time!! We came across lots of toad stools on the walk, I find them really amazing as there are just so many different varieties. Catriona took a photo of the one shown above.
I also took myself off on another walk to gather
some pine cones - again for in the pot pourri -
I've had my eye on a big branch with loads of
cones on it that I pass most days with Chrissie - so we scrambled up the bank and collected about half a carrier bagful!!
It's been on our tea-time walk the last couple of days that we've seen lots of geese flying overhead, yesterday we saw a huge flock. I love the sound of them, it's such an autumn sound and reminds me so much of my childhood as we used to have lots of geese in the fields surrounding our house at this time of year. I also love the sound of pheasants when they ( and you!) get a fright and fly out the undergrowth - it's such a magical sound, and the way they just glide through the air, although a tad hap-hazzerdly! This photo shows a gorgeous male pheasant that took to roaming around in our garden in the spring - I do hope he makes it through the shooting season!
The pot pourri probably won't make it onto the web site as I can't make enough of it at this time of year so if anyone would like a bag its £4.95. I'll try and get a photo of it posted soon!

No comments: